Finchley Area Guide
Finchley has a relaxed feel, with smart leafy streets encompassing a broad assortment of properties ranging from large picturesque period homes and modest terraces to several large blocks of flats.
Interesting area fact: Harry Beck, a Finchley resident, designed the iconic London Underground tube map in 1931, with a copy of his original map being located on the southbound platform at Finchley Central station.
Shops, schools & amenities
- A peaceful atmosphere with some great local shops and cafes on the High Road and Ballards Lane, Finchley is a centre of culinary delights with restaurants serving food from every region and culture.
- Given the large area Finchley covers, the area boasts excellent education options to suit every family. Schools include Sacks Morasha Jewish Primary, Akiva, Pardes House, Chalgrove Primary, Moss Hall, Northside, Our Lady of Lourdes RC Primary, Martin Primary, Oak Lodge and St. Michael’s Catholic Grammar.
- For families, there are numerous outdoor spaces, such as Victoria Park, Woodside Park, Highgate Wood, Cherry Tree Wood, Mill Hill Park, Windsor Open Space and the gardens at Avenue House.
- Finchley also offers several gyms and yoga studios, such as the Finchley Lido and David Lloyd leisure centres, pottery painting cafes, nearby farms and golf courses. Finchley is home to the historic Phoenix Cinema in East Finchley and the Great North Leisure Park located just off the North Circular which includes a Vue multiplex cinema, a Hollywood Bowl and a range of family restaurants.
- Sat in the heart of North Finchley on Tally Ho Corner is the Arts Depot award-winning cultural hub providing a vibrant programme of theatre, dance, comedy, music, family events and art.
- By Road: Finchley is the perfect location for those who commute by car, as several major roads pass through the area, linking to the M1 and the North Circular (A406).
- By Underground: Finchley has four tube stations all on the Northern Line – East Finchley, Finchley Central (both of which have car parks), Woodside Park and West Finchley.
- By Train: Finchley has no train station. The nearest stations are New Southgate for North and Central Finchley and Alexandra Palace for East Finchley.
- By Bus: several bus routes service Finchley, including the 82, 125, 145, 382, 460, 626, and the N13 and N20 night buses. Tally Ho Corner is a particularly busy hub.